This pane clears float!
Upon graduation, accounting majors typically pursue professional certifications. In addition to the CPA and CMA certifications noted above, accountants also may become Certified Internal Auditors. All professional certifications require individuals to pass a national examination and complete several years of professional practice.
Most states require that individuals who wish to take the CPA examination must complete 150 hours of college credit.
UW-Platteville graduates majoring in accounting have several attractive options for meeting the 150-credit-hour requirement.
- Earning a business administration major with an emphasis in an area complementary to accounting, such as finance, or management before graduation
- Completing a Master’s of Science degree in in one of four on-line Master’s programs offered by the department after graduation on a part- or full-time basis
- Working one-on-one with an accounting faculty member to devise a plan specifically tailored to a particular student’s interests
- Completing a Master of Business Administration degree after graduation as a part- or full-time student.
Required Core Courses (53-57 credits):
- ACCTING 2010 - Financial Accounting - 3 cr
- ACCTING 2020 - Management Accounting - 3 cr
ACCTING 4990 - Internship - 3 cr
BUSADMIN 4990 - Internship
- BUSADMIN 1300 - Global Business - 3 cr (meets GE international requirement)
- BUSADMIN 2100 - Supply Chain Management - 3 cr
- BUSADMIN 2330 - Leadership and Management - 3 cr
BUSADMIN 2340 - Data Analysis & Decision Making - 3 cr
ECON 2410 - Interpretation of Bus & Econ. Data
MATH 1830 - Elementary Statistics
- BUSADMIN 2630 - Introduction to Marketing - 3 cr
- BUSADMIN 3030 - Human Resource Management - 3 cr
- BUSADMIN 3130 - Legal Environment of Business - 3 cr
- BUSADMIN 3140 - Managerial Law - 3 cr
- BUSADMIN 3620 - Corporate Finance - 3 cr
- BUSADMIN 4840 - Business Policy and Strategy - 3 cr
Excel Competency - 0 cr
COSC 1830 - Microcomputer Applications - 3 cr
- ECONOMIC 2130 - Principles of Macroeconomics - 3 cr (may be counted as a social science requirement)
- ECONOMIC 2230 - Principles of Microeconomics - 3 cr (may be counted as a social science requirement)
MEDIA 3010 - Business Communication - 3 cr
ENGL 3000 - Technical Writing - 3 cr
- MATH 2630 - Calculus with Applications or higher
- SPEECH 1010 - Public Speaking - 2 cr
Required Accounting Courses (24 credits):
- ACCTING 3010 - Intermediate Accounting I - 3 cr
- ACCTING 3020 - Intermediate Accounting II - 3 cr
- ACCTING 3030 - Accounting Information Systems - 3 cr
- ACCTING 3040 - Federal Income Tax - 3 cr
- ACCTING 3050 - Advanced Accounting - 3 cr
- ACCTING 3230 - Cost Accounting - 3 cr
- ACCTING 4040 - Advanced Taxation - 3 cr
- ACCTING 4230 - Auditing - 3 cr
Electives: (6 credits):
- ACCTING 3270 - Financial Statement Analysis - 3 cr
- ACCTING 3530 - Budgets and Budgetary Control - 3 cr
- ACCTING 4130 - Advanced Cost Accounting - 3 cr
- ACCTING 4520 - Accounting Theory - 3 cr
Note: ACCTING 4990 satisfies both the internship requirement and one of the two accounting electives. BSAD 4990 satisfies only the internship requirement for the accounting major
Additional Requirements for the Accounting Degree:
- At least 40 percent of a student’s total credits at UW-Platteville must be in areas outside of accounting and business.
- Students must have G.P.A.s of 2.50 or better in courses required in the major
- Satisfactory completion of an approved accounting or business internship is required.
- At least 21 credits must be taken under the direction of UW-Platteville faculty.
This pane clears float!