This pane clears float!
|Course Number:||MEDIA 3010|
|Course Name:||Business Communication (Online)|
|Course Description:||Communication strategies and techniques used in business; practice in writing effective memos, letters and reports; oral communication skills developed in influencing group decisions and making presentations; employment correspondence and interviewing.|
|Prerequisites:||ENGLISH 1230 and SPEECH 1010; NOTE: You must have access to a computer with Microsoft Word (or compatible software) and PowerPoint to complete the assignments in this course. For additional information, please contact the instructor.|
|Format:||Online (This course is also offered in print.)|
Through required readings and assignments, you will demonstrate understanding of the business communication process by:
- Preparing, writing, and presenting with confidence
- Practicing skillful job hunting strategies
- Identifying and building ethical persuasive argument
Unit 1: Introductions and Skill Assessment
This unit is an opportunity for introductions during the first week of the course. After that, students will complete five assessment exercises (quizzes). These quizzes are designed to assess your business writing skill. However, students are encouraged to use available resources, including the text by Hacker, to successfully complete these exercises.
Unit 2: Business Protocol
This unit is an exploration of behaviors in business, which frequently communicate as effectively as written letters and other documents. Nonverbal communication is a varied and robust topic, filled with multiple perspectives based on culture, values, laws, and many other factors. Students will have insight on required and expected behaviors, as well as personal opinions. Therefore, the students serve as one of the key resources for this unit.
Unit 3: Business Meetings
This unit is an exploration of group interaction, as well as interpersonal communication. The skills of planning, conducting, and recording effective business meetings is presented.
Unit 4: Business Correspondence
This unit focuses on business communication in the form of letters. Various formats will be reviewed and a common letter format will be applied.
Unit 5: Internal Business Communication
In this unit, our focus is on communication intended for internal audiences (within the company or association). This communication could be in memos, e-mail, policy statements, instructions, or other types of communication.
Unit 6: Ethical Business Communication
In this unit, we will investigate the issue of ethical communication in business. Besides being fair, honest, and open, individuals and their companies must establish goodwill. This goodwill and the reputation for excellence form the foundation with which companies can face fierce competition, predictable rough times, and unexpected crises. Even when criticism must be delivered, business professionals seek to provide beneficial and balanced perspectives, always with improvement for the involved parties and company in mind.
Unit 7: Formal Business Communication
In this unit, our focus is on formal writing in business. All assignments in this unit will rely on MLA or APA standards for writing style, formatting, and documentation. In addition, you will prepare a presentation following team presentation protocol standards.
Number of Exams
There are 4 quizzes for this course.
Number of Assignments
There are 9 assignments and 2 discussions for this course.
Number of Projects
There are 3 group asssignments for this course.
Total points through assignments and quizzes = 1,200
Unit 1 - 100 points
Unit 2 - 100 points
Unit 3 - 100 points
Unit 4 - 200 points
Unit 5 - 150 points
Unit 6 - 150 points
Unit 7 - 400 points
To receive an "A" on written assignments, the following guidelines apply:
- The assignment exhibits effort and critical thinking on related topics, including unit resources.
- Construction of the assignment exhibits appropriate word usage, spelling, and punctuation, considering the prerequisites for this course (two semesters of freshman composition and one semester of speech). No more than four different types of error are noted per page.
- The assignment substantially meets all required elements. Assignment requirements include appropriate content and formatting.
- All required citations are provided, with no missing citations or missing documentation, and all provided citations are substantially correct in format and content, following MLA or APA guidelines.
Zero points are earned on any assignment if:
- The assignment is submitted late.
- The assignment has missing required elements.
- The assignment has numerous writing style errors (see guidelines above).
- The assignment has missing citations or documentation.
- Documentation is substantially incorrect.
Course grade of:
A = 90-100% of points
B = 80-89%
C = 70-79%
D = 60-69%
F = 59% or less
This pane clears float!