Applying for a Social Security Number
This pane clears float!
Before applying for a social security number, F-1 students must have been in the U.S. for at least 10 days and they must have reported to the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) office at their school to activate their student status in SEVIS. Before applying for a social security number, you must have a job offer.
Instructions for Applying for a Social Security Number
Please click on the link at the right for a printable guide with instructions for applying for a social security number.
You must bring the following to all of your appointments to fill out paperwork on campus:
- Student ID Card
- A letter from your supervisor
Obtain a letter signed by your supervisor (printed on department letterhead) indicating:
- Verification that you have a job offer and description of employment
- The start date of employment
- The number of hours per week you are or will be working
- Name and telephone number of your supervisor
- *Go to the Financial Aid office (204 Brigham) and fill out the Form I-9 and the Student Work Authorization Form. Request to take the original copy of the Student Work Authorization form and bring it to Payroll after you get your social security card.
- *Give the Work Authorization Form to your supervisor to fill out and sign.
- *Go to Payroll in the Human Recourses office (2300 Ullsvik). Ask Payroll (Tina Olsterholz) to write a letter that includes the verification that you have secured an on-campus job, your start date, and the number of hours per week you are or will be working.
- Complete the SS-5 form, which is available online at http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.pdf. If possible, type your responses before printing the form.
- Set up an appointment with the International Student and Scholar Services office. Bring the SS-5 form, the letter from your supervisor, the Work Authorization form (on campus employment only), and the letter from Payroll (on campus employment only) to the ISSS office in Royce Hall.
- Receive a letter of verification from the ISSS office.
- Travel to the Social Security Administration office in Lancaster, Wisconsin (175 W Alona Lane) to apply for your social security number. Lancaster is about 20 miles from Platteville. The office is only open on weekdays between the hours of 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. Allow 60-90 minutes for your appointment, including travel to and from Platteville. You must show the following documents to complete an application:
- Valid Passport
- Valid I-94 card
- Valid I-20 or DS-2019
- One other piece of identification - student ID card, driver's license, etc.
- Proof of job/job offer (unless you have an EAD card)
- Letter from Designated School Official (DSO) in the ISSS Office verifying your employment
- Letter from Payroll (on-campus employment only)
- SS-5 Form
Depending on the type of employment for which you have been authorized, you will need to bring the following documents to the Social Security Administration office:
You must submit all the documents listed in step 8.
You must submit the original I-20 with the CPT authorization noted on page 3, in addition to all of the documents listed in step 8 (except for the letter from Payroll). Do not apply for a social security number more than 30 days prior to your CPT start date. If you do so, your social security number application may be delayed or denied.
You must submit the Employment Authorization Card (EAD card) and the original I-20 with the OPT authorization noted on page 3, in addition to all of the documents listed in step 8. You do not need to submit a job offer letter or proof of employment.
If you are applying for a social security card because you will be engaging in OPT, do not apply for a social security number until AFTER your OPT start date and AFTER you have received your EAD card in the mail, or else your social security number application may be delayed or denied.
Receiving Your Social Security Card
When you receive your social security card in the mail (usually 2-3 weeks after you apply), you must report to the Payroll office and the Financial Aid office so that they can make a copy of your social security card. When you visit Payroll, you will need to give them the original Work Authorization Form and your banking information, in addition to bringing your social security card. Please notify the ISSS office when you receive your social security card.
This pane clears float!
- i3s Account
- Update your Address
- International Student Handbook
- Upcoming ISSS Events
- F-1 Forms
- Reduced Course Load (RCL) Authorization
- Program Extension
- Departure from the U.S.
- Maintaining Legal Status
- Health Insurance
- Banking/Paying Your Bill
- Driving in the U.S.
- Tax Information
- Tuition Waivers