UWP Days of Percussion schedule promises rich experiences and lively concerts
This pane clears float!
PLATTEVILLE - The groundbreaking, ground-shaking Days of Percussion at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville set for Friday, Jan. 24, and Saturday, Jan. 25, promises rich and varied experiences for all participants.
A percussion ensemble, featuring Patrick Fennell conducting the Wisconsin Percussive Arts Society (PAS) with Dave Mancini, headlines a 7:30 p.m. free and open to the public concert Friday in the UWP Center for Arts Richard and Helen Brodbeck Concert Hall.
Also performing at the concert will be the UWP Panjamers Steel Drum Band and Hands On'Semble, winner of Drum! Magazine's Best Percussion Ensemble Award.
Mancini has most recently toured and performed as the drummer for the legendary trumpet player and former Tonight Show Band leader, Doc Severinsen.
The two-day event, co-hosted by the UWP Fine Arts Department and the Wisconsin Chapter of the PAS is a first for the area.
The schedule is as follows:
- Friday: 8:30-10:00 a.m. -- registration, lobby of the UWP Center for the Arts
- 10-11:15 a.m. -- big band drumming, led by Dave Mancini, assisted by the UWP Jazz I Big Band
- 11:30 a.m.-12:45 p.m.--Brazilian samba drumming, led by Anthony DiSanza, assistant professor of percussion, UW-Madison
- Lunch break -- 12:45-1:45
- 1:45- 3:15 p.m.--percussion rehearsal techniques for band directors, led by Frederick Fennell and the Wisconsin PAS select high school percussion ensemble
- 3:30-5 p.m.--hand drumming from around the world, performed by Hands On'Semble
- Dinner break -- 5:30-6:30
- 7:30 p.m. - concert featuring Frederick Fennell Conducting the Wisconsin PAS Select Percussion Ensemble with Dave Mancini, the UWP Panjamers Steel Drum Band and Hands On'Semble
- Saturday: 8:30-9:30 a.m.--registration, lobby of the UWP CFA
- 9:30 -10:45 a.m.--contemporary percussion music, verederos flute and percussion duo with Payton MacDonald, UW- Oshkosh, and Jessica Johnson, flute
- 11 a.m.-12 p.m. - timpani, led by Tele Lesbines, former timpanist, Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra
- Lunch break --12:15 -1 p.m.
- 1- 2:30 p.m. -- hand drumming from around the world Hands On'Semble with John Bergamo (Coordinator of Percussion California Institute of the Arts), Randy Gloss, Austin Wrinkle and Andrew Grueschow
- 2:45-3:30 p.m.--jazz vibraphone, led by Joe Caploe, UWP director of percussion and jazz studies, assisted by Dave Mancini and friends
- 4:30 p.m. - free concert , CFA Richard and Helen Brodbeck Concert Hall, featuring the Spring City area percussion ensemble, Jim Sewrey conductor, with guest conductor Frederick Fennell and Dave Mancini, verederos flute and percussion duo and Hands On'Semble.
Teacher recertification and academic credit are available. For tuition and fees, contact the UWP Office of Continuing Education ,608-342-1314 or toll-free 1-888-281-9472.
Host and UWP director of percussion and jazz studies Joe Caploe said "This event promotes the music department and brings recognition to UWP by bringing worldclass performing artists on campus. It also is an opportunity for UWP students to learn and perform with these artists, which helps inspire and motivate them."
For further information, please call 608-342-1018.
This pane clears float!