The Website Transition Steering Committee meets bi-weekly. Four sub-committees meet weekly to discuss design, policy, navigation, and communications. Check the Website Transition Project Updates for the latest project information.
Website Transition Project
This pane clears float!
The Web Development Staff is working with department content stewards to transition University of Wisconsin-Platteville's website to a web Content Management System (CMS).
What is a CMS?
A CMS will allow us to manage the design of website pages and provide
- An updated image for UW-Platteville
- Enhanced functionality including web forms, photo galleries, blogs, discussion forums, slide shows, and other visual presentation features
- Content that is optimized for searches
- Resources accessible to all people
- Content accessible by mobile devices
There are many CMS products. As recommended by the Website Transition Project Steering Committee, UW-Platteville will use Drupal, a CMS that can accommodate our current and future needs. Content stewards will find many options to define their department’s presence while the entire site maintains a consistent and coherent look for UW-Platteville.
Where are we?
Phase I is underway. The sub-committees are making policy, design, and navigation decisions in preparation for migrating department web pages. A few sites will be launched as pilots. Phase II will begin early in 2013 and will include a new home page and several hub pages, as well as transitioning critical pages. Phase III will be the migration of the majority of the content.
Who are we?
Because a previous attempt at this transition with a contracted company was delayed for a variety of reasons, the Website Transition Project Steering Committee has been charged with making decisions and setting timelines to complete this project. The steering committee’s scope includes setting policy, creating the navigation wireframe, determining design and style, and communicating progress of and directions for completing the project.
Who are content stewards?
Content stewards are the people in every department, office, and organization on campus who are responsible for creating and updating web pages for their area. The Web Development team will provide training and assistance to the content stewards. To get started, content stewards should consult the Content Stewards Checklist and contact Paul Erickson by December 21, 2012 to discuss a timetable.
This pane clears float!
- Content Stewards Checklist
- Website Layout Examples
- Video Tutorials
- Previous Drupal Website
- Writing for the Web: Making it Simple and Personal
- UW-Platteville Publications Style Sheet
- UW-Platteville Web Style Sheet (coming soon)
- UW-Platteville Web Policy
- Drupal Training Schedule (coming soon)
- Pilot Projects -These pilot sites will be used to test design, navigation and functionality, as well as provide examples for other departments. Sites with links are live.